This page has moved to a new address.

The Working Mother

The Five Fish: The Working Mother

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

The Working Mother

Ah yes the working mom. We know the stereotype as the Mom who works outside of the home. The mom who commutes and holds a "real" job. I can say I have come to resent that whole stereotypical bravado of "the working mom". I mean really, what am I doing.....sitting on my duff watching soap operas and eating take out?

I used to be the working mom. The stereotype in the expensive suits commuting to the office making me and my bosses lots and lots of money. I would get Starbucks for lunch and have expensive Vodka drinks after work and I would also be the working mom who would pick up her son from daycare. Yup, I was that Mom. I would drive tirelessly home to fix dinner, cawtch up on laundry and miscellaneous house work and get my son and husband to bed and I would finally crash, then I would wake at 5am to do the same thing all over again. Yes, I was the working mom.


But things haven't changed. Well, my wardrobe has and I added a few kids (by accident, not like I planned for my biology to say "Here, here's an extra egg smart girl").

Here is to the true working mom! The undervalued, underappreciated, underpayed, no thanks at all Mom who busts her ass everyday to take care of her children, her home, her husband and show pride in doing so. We are the true working Mom's.

I used to mock those women who would stay home. Like "What the hell? Yeah, you so do not have it rough lady?" Oh how I ate my words. Yes, one child is such a breeze. Believe me I got so much more accomplished but add a couple more and let me tell you.....well you probably know. The job is hard. Trying to appease three little mob bosses barking at you for more food at the table. Caring for the homeless when those children ask for "money", "Food" and "a ride somewhere". Yes, I just referenced children to being like a homeless person. Then add in the mix laundry, housecleaning, running the kids to this function or that, to and from school, yard work, dinner, dishes, then add a couple of screaming kids and you have to stop what you are doing to pay attention to that situation and your whole day can be shot. So the "working Mom"...yeah....that broad has got it easy. I did your job....for many years.....you come do mine and then we'll compare notes. Until then.....here is to the true working mom and all of our selflessness for caring for the ones we love and showing pride in our home. Way to go Girl!!!

Labels: