This page has moved to a new address.

Holiday Tradition

The Five Fish: Holiday Tradition

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Holiday Tradition

 I tweeted and updated my Facebook status on how fabulous this holiday season would be, even after a tumultuous Thanksgiving I knew Christmas would completely drown everything that happened.

For the week leading up to Christmas Big G and I were on a Betty Crocker roll. I think I was channeling her or Martha Stewart for that matter with how many crafts and baking we accomplished together. We started by making these absolutely easy and aromatic Christmas ornaments courtesy of my friend Casey over at Extraordinary Mothers. Look at these beauties, I was so proud of my baby for sticking with the project.

We used some super simple ribbon too. Just a bit of wired ribbon and decorative craft rope and we have insta- ornaments that not only look fantastic and can be dressed up but smell absolutely intoxicating!



Next we did some rolled and cut Gingerbread Man cookies that were just the most tender, sweet, soft delicious cookies you could ever have. We did THREE dozen of those cookies. Look at the boy go! I was so proud he had so much fun...and we chowed on some dough! What good are cookies without cookie dough to nibble on.



So we moved onto more fun cookies and we did some really fun sugar cookies. I decided to use my new Wilton's Cookie Press that I won from my friend Sandra over at Adventures In Mommyland (you should read...this woman has amazing strength!) and we did fabulous Christmas tree press cookies and some "star" shapes that actually looked more like flowers and we decorated as such.


Finally I made THREE, yes THREE homemade, from scratch, did not buy the shit in a pan from the store, PIES. I know I am a culinary snob...I truly enjoy the insult of being a snob, I pride myself in this delight. I have skills and I am proud to flaunt! HA HA HA. Okay, so enough of me, here is my prize winning pie...well actually it was eaten too fast before I could take a beauty shot, but I do have the original specimen, and I will be posting the recipe for Morsel Monday next week since I have failed to play along with consistent blogging this week. A-Okay by me, enjoying the relaxing time the no pressure of posting. But here is the specimen that I speak of...yes...that is a Pumpkin. An albino (white) pumpkin and what the insides look like after being cooked/mashed. Pretty right? Just imagine the taste. OH EM GEE!



The three wise pies were my infamous and prized beauties that each of my Grandmother's raved over (yes both Grandmothers asked for the recipe....the women with phenomenal, mad cooking abilities wanted MY recipe!), my aunt's who both have an insane level of gift in the culinary arts wanted the recipe, and of course my mother...who legitimized my claim of THE PERFECT child cook said my pie was better than the other pie she had that day...or any other day or holiday for that matter. Well of course...mine was made with love...not from an assembly line and stamped with the brand of "Marie Callendar's." kthxbai

I then worked on my Turkish chocolate cake. This cake was like no other though, more of a Swiss Roll with wonderful whipped cream inside...again, another recipe I will be sure to post. Super easy, super delish and very decadent. A true dessert cake and delicacy. However, one cake did not roll, so it was a layer cake of sorts, the other did roll, beautifully so I hauled that with us, along with the pecan pie, oh and the divinity. Yes, I made divinity. Which is a true feat to successfully create this confection in winter due to the weather and often cloudy days. You cannot make divinity on a cloudy day...same with fudge...the consistency just isn't right. But I hauled all these goodies to my Grandmother's house in Casa Grande for my 31st Christmas Eve celebration with her, with my Grandfather's passing which was ever so bittersweet a celebration of family nonetheless, my aunt's who had I many a laughs with, and my uncle who I joined in sarcastic witty banter as we jabbed others and one another.

Needless to say while the gifts were not overly plentiful as some may expect, the love of family, being together, having fun, and the creations of love and joy were shared abound. Those gifts are the gifts that carry no price, can never be replaced, and are felt year round and are remembered for a lifetime.

What were your holiday traditions? Family traditions? Baking fun? Any childhood memories you had that carry on with your present family? Children?

Labels: , , , , , , ,