This page has moved to a new address.

HAPPY B-EARTH DAY

The Five Fish: HAPPY B-EARTH DAY

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

HAPPY B-EARTH DAY

On this day 39 years ago a U.S. senator founded the awareness and inspiration for loving our planet and saving her in all her glory for years to come, we now celebrate today as Earth Day.

On this day 26 years ago, my mother delivered a baby girl of a mere six pounds and a few ounces. I remember my parents going back and forth on what to name this little girl before her arrival. I would tell my best friend and Sunday School mate Brittany Davalos (whom I used to ride the Sunday school bus with) that I was going to have a little sister. Well when you are five years old (which is how old I was when my sister was born) you want your new sibling to share the name of your best friend of course! Like naming the family dog....just kidding.

After Sunday school I told my mom what we were to name my new baby sister and her name was to be "Brittany" spelling and all. Who would think a five year old to name her sibling and get the spelling correct? If you are like me, who descends from a long line of OCD crack heads, then of course you get the spelling correct.

And so it shall be. My mother gave birth this Earth Day 26 years ago to my best friend in the whole world Brittany Ann Hudson Greer (Yup, she authors the Greer 5). We fought like cats as little kids, she stole all my beauty products when we were teens, she was my maid of honor at my wedding, I was her Matron of honor at her wedding, we have cried, we have laughed, we have laughed so hard we cried, we have cussed each other out, we have slapped each other, killed each other with silence, battled, apologized, hated, loved, and come back to the fact we are always sisters and I will always love my sister and I always have loved my sister. I named her after my best friend, so of course she would be my best friend. Have an absolutely beautiful and wonderful day Britt, I love you and I love you for all your faults, strengths, conquering that which can destroy you, and your ability to make people smile and laugh. I love you and have the best Birthday Earth Day ever!

(See, I am always her right hand man....err.....I mean Woman!)

Labels: , , ,