This page has moved to a new address.

STUPID

The Five Fish: STUPID

Sunday, September 27, 2009

STUPID

How to address the word?

Adjective, noun usage in a statement, declaration, question, pronoun, formal title (stupid ass)

I think stupid is a pretty broad word, you might get creative and use words like dolt, dull, dumb, dense.

In fact Merriam-Webster defines the word as:



1 a : slow of mind : obtuse b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner c : lacking intelligence or reason : brutish
2 : dulled in feeling or sensation : torpid
3 : marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : senseless
4 a : lacking interest or point
b : vexatious, exasperating car won't start> (Merriam-Webster, 2009)


So imagine my stupid surprise when I received Big G's progress report. I was saying but of course in awe of how well my child is progressing with kindergarten and this explained much of his boredom and troublesome behavior. He receives tickets rising in color much like a  soccer penalty for talking too much not my boy, rough-housing and playing in line, just normal kid stuff to which the rules are enforced so children understand proper behavior in school. My awe was not just his intelligent progression but the comment. Yes. THE COMMENT. DH says I am over analyzing, but I have an issue with this statement that I will outline in BOLD:

Needs to be reminded to keep hands to himself when playing or upset, and not to use words like "stupid"

Now I really should not be too upset but I have a problem with this statement. Why not use the word stupid? If he is calling people stupid that is one issue, but that was not specifically addressed. If Big G is doing that (calling people stupid), I will for SURE put the kibosh to that minutiae. He is not to call anyone stupid until he gets his own job, moves out and deals with the stupid people on his own.  Then I can let him know "I told ya so" when he tells me about all the stupid shits of the world.

But if he is saying SOMETHING or an IDEA or an activity is stupid then that is his feelings and opinion on the matter. Furthermore, the something, idea, activity, etc may very well be STUPID to my boy as the STUPID does not present an intellectual challenge for him. Meaning....it's stupid. I mean I would be more upset ROFLMAO had he said something was Effing stupid.

I would also have expected more in the student-teacher department of this statement on the report:

"Uses word stupid, might suggest using different feeling words or adjective to define feelings, such as I don't want to, I don't like it, it's boring, its not fun"

Do you see where I am going with this?

I think I might have been more receptive to that statement, rather than the vague, stupid unintelligible, statement leaving me to stew until parent teacher conferences in a MONTH!! Yeah...STUPID!!

What would you suggest? Do you have a problem with stupid? I know I have a problem with some stupid, but not to define something that does not engage my child in an intellectual fashion of his liking.
What do you think?

Labels: , , , ,