This page has moved to a new address.

If I think I will lose a pound...then I lose a pound

The Five Fish: If I think I will lose a pound...then I lose a pound

Saturday, February 14, 2009

If I think I will lose a pound...then I lose a pound

If only the real world worked that way! I have to say since the new year I have seen every diet fad, exercise opportunity and exercise DVD advertised, exercise equipment, you name it, I have seen them all for losing weight and "keeping it off" as they say. I will tell you this I have been in the biggest fight and struggle of my life! Postpartum weight sucks huge Donkey Balls if you ask me. Yes I am mad about it. Those moms who say, "Oh, my weight just fell off", yeah well honey so did your boobs. Adlibby dropped by and I saw her weight loss post and I just fell in love which made me think.....I will post "my people" secrets to how I have lost 13 pounds in less than a month and 12 inches all around from my torso to my hips.

Here is my history so you don't think I am totally nuts...besides the fact I have twins and a singleton (which I am nuts), but I do have a lucid thought here. I have tried every fad diet there is from the Atkins Diet (which I am sure works for some if they can do it the rest of their lives), the South Beach Diet (which I lost 30 pounds on but I could not stick to because I love love love my carbs), the no eating diet, the over eating diet, the water pill diet, that now I am on the "I am accountable and am everything I eat" Diet.

Makes no sense right? Nope...makes beautiful sense. I can eat great food, in moderation, in healthy portions, have CHOCOLATE (hello to those ladies who love their cocoa), booze (love my red vino) and I am losing weight. What's the catch right? Nope, no catch. Here is what I have been doing HABITUALLY for the last few weeks:

1. NO SODA or carbonated drinks at all! That means no Red Bull, no anything that fizzes, bubbles, or pops.

2. Super hydrating my body. Drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day. (Though I truly hate water, I do add lemon and some mint to make the taste tolerable).

3. I weigh and look at my portions and caloric content. Seriously, one burger (even home made) has 330 calories BEFORE the bun, condiments, cheese, yup (they are OH SO good, but on a cheat day...I will explain later).

4. I record all my food, caloric content, and portions on Spark People where I also record all my cardio, strength training, etc.

5. Most important, I EAT BREAKFAST!!! I know so many working Moms who skip this meal...I know, I used to do it. Now I eat a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats (which are fabulous for you) or my breakfast special and I will include that fantabulous recipe with calorie content.

6. I do medium cardio every day coupled with strength training to tighten muscles and my flab. Yes, I have flab....it's ugly, hideous, and totally repulsive, but my flab is diminishing.

7. I don't stress and I made this a HABIT. Yes, in 7 days you can make something a habit, stick to it, don't stress it, and results will happen.

8. Don't stress or self- sabotage. Too often we get stressed out and then comfort ourselves in our old friends....GOBS of chocolate, beer, wine, burgers, crap! Don't stress, this is a process.

9. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL NO MATTER WHAT!!! Losing weight is an added bonus to your health, your life span, and your energy levels (especially the sex...WHOA Nelly!). If you remind yourself everyday you are beautiful then weight loss is just the candles and frosting on the cake.

10. Give yourself some room. Don't expect immediate results, don't think if you don't see immediate results that the effort is not worth it....IT IS!!! Everything is a process. The way I look at it is that my body needed 9 months and an extra baby in my womb (twins) to put on this weight, that my body will need at least that time or double to lose it.

Our society has promoted all these pills and potions, and literal bullshit that promise "weight loss" and "guaranteed results" when really each person is different. Nothing happens in the first thirty days except that your mind is trained to get off your duff, put yourself and your health first, and stick to it. Everything from there is gravy (pardon the pun). So here is my POWER breakfast that gets me boosted in the morning with lots of energy:

2 egg whites (or 1 egg white and 1 whole egg) scrambled or an omelet (whichever you prefer)
1 English Muffin (need some carbs with your protein) lightly buttered, or I use Flax Oil which is LOADED with those awesome Omega-3's
2 slices of Turkey Bacon. Oscar Mayer makes a great turkey bacon and you can get it super cheap and cheaper than regular bacon and SOOO much better for you only 35 calories a SLICE!! As opposed to regular bacon which is loaded in fat and calories to drag you down.
1 glass of water or 1 glass of Silk Vanilla Soy Milk or 1 glass of 1% milk

That's it! And my breakfast is ready in less than 10 minutes, especially because I pre-cook the bacon so I just reheat. And here is the best part with the total calorie breakdown:

Egg white: 17 calories!!
Whole Egg: 75 calories
TOTAL: Range from 34 to 92 calories

English Muffin: 100 calories (yup for the whole muffin even when cut in half)
Add butter: 45 calories
Add flax: 60 calories

Turkey bacon: 35 calories per slice and LOADED with protein

And if you are one of those people who just LOVES fluffy eggs and you add milk....skip the milk for a FAT free, CALORIE free alternative.....just add water! Gives you more moisture to those eggs where milk dries out and water still gives fluff.

So to date I have lost:

3 inches off my hips
6 inches off my waist
3 inches off my bust (but still have my tata's! Strength training helps that.)

I look forward to posting more of my postpartum weight loss adventure and if you want to know more feel free to email me at karieherring@gmail.com or sign up at Spark People and say that KHerring1415 referred you!

Labels: , , ,